Trips and Excursions
The best way to learn about Central Europe is to go out and see it. UPCES arranges 4 trips each semester in the Czech Republic and its neighboring countries.
UPCES trips are designed for students to experience the cultural diversity of the region. Students learn about the history of each city and their contemporary cultures, politics, and economies. All trips include transportation, guided tours, entrance fees, accommodation, cultural activities, and free time.
Weekend Trip to Krakow
Each semester includes a 3-night trip to Krakow, Poland, a major cultural city in Central Europe. This trip introduces students to Central Europe outside of Prague and provides an expanded understanding of the region’s culture and history.
Highlights of the weekend trip include:
- Walking tours of the historic districts
- Entry to famous city museums, monuments, and/or historic buildings
- Side-trip outside of the city to an important historic area
Accommodation in the city center
Day-Trip Trip to Český Krumlov
UPCES students also visit the picturesque castle town of Český Krumlov. This town, situated on a bend in the Vltava River in Southern Bohemia, is best known for its beautiful Baroque castle, well-preserved historic center, and enchanted atmosphere.
Higlights of the Český Krumlov trip include:
- Guided tour of the city's historic Old Town, including the St. Vitus Church, Palace Gardens, Eggenberg Pivovar, and Castle Bridge
- Visit and tour of the second-largest castle in the Czech Republic, the famous Renaissance Rooms and Schwarzenberg Baroque Suite
Day-Trip to Dresden
Dresden, the capital of Saxony in Germany, also called the "Florence at the Elbe River," has excellent examples of Baroque and Gothic architecture, as well as world-class museums and markets. Much of Dresden’s historic center was destroyed during World War II, but today almost all important landmarks have been rebuilt to their former splendor.
Highlights of the Dresden trip include:
- Guided tour of the city's historic center, including the Zwinger Palace, Semper Opera, and Bruhle Terrace
- Visit to Dresden’s famous Church of Our Lady (Frauenkirche)
Excursion to Dresden's famous holiday markets (fall semester only)
Day-Trip to Litoměřice
Another UPCES day-trip is to the Bohemian town of Litoměřice, located in Northwest Czech Republic in the region of the Czech Central Mountains. This is one of the oldest Czech towns, nestled in perhaps the most beautiful region in the country.
Highlights of the Litoměřice trip include:
- Tour of the city's Old Town and historic areas
- Visit and tour of the Ploskovice Castle
- Lunch in a historic restaurant
Wine tasting in Velké Žernosek vineyard
Day-Trip to Kutná Hora
UPCES often offers a day-trip to Kutná Hora, a former silver-mining town which was at one time among the richest towns in the Czech kingdom. The variety of well-preserved architectural monuments reflect its ancient fame and wealth.
Highlights of the Kutná Hora trip include:
- Guided tour of the city's historic medieval center
- Visit to the unique and beautiful Cathedral of St. Barbara
- Excursion to the famous "Bone Church," a chapel decorated with over 40,000 human bones
"The trips were so much fun! UPCES set us up with great lodging, put together fabulous tours, and made everything easy and accessible. The trips were a great way to see different parts of Central Europe while having fun with other students."
— Litsey, Middlebury College '11. View more "Student Stories" here.
View more pictures on the UPCES Facebook Page