The best way to discover Central Europe is to go out and see it. UPCES arranges 4 trips each semester in Central Europe.
All UPCES trips are designed for students to experience the cultural diversity of the region. Students learn about the history of each city and their contemporary cultures, politics, and economies. All trips include transportation, guided tours, entrance fees, accommodation, cultural activities, and free time.
Weekend Trip to Krakow or Budapest
Each semester includes a 3-night trip to a major cultural city in Central Europe. This trip will usually go to Krakow, Poland or Budapest, Hungary. This trip introduces students to Central Europe outside of Prague and provides an expanded understanding of the region’s culture and history.
Highlights of the weekend trip include:
- Walking tours of the historic districts
- Entry to famous city museums, monuments, and/or historic buildings
- Side-trip outside of the city to an important historic area
Weekend accommodation in the city center
1-Day or Overnight Trip to Český Krumlov
UPCES students also visit the picturesque castle town of Český Krumlov. This town, situated on a bend in the Vltava River in Southern Bohemia, is best known for its beautiful Baroque castle, well-preserved historic center, and enchanted atmosphere.
Higlights of the Český Krumlov trip include:
- Guided tour of the city's historic Old Town, including the St. Vitus Church, Palace Gardens, Eggenberg Pivovar, and Castle Bridge
- Visit and tour of the second-largest castle in the Czech Republic, the famous Renaissance Rooms and Schwarzenberg Baroque Suite
Overnight stay in the city center
Day-Trip to Dresden
UPCES students take two day-trip excursions. One day-trip is to Dresden, the capital of Saxony in Germany. Also called the "Florence at the Elbe River," Dresden has excellent examples of Baroque and Gothic architecture, as well as world-class museums and markets. Much of Dresden’s historic center was destroyed during World War II, but today almost all important landmarks have been rebuilt to their former splendor.
Highlights of the Dresden trip include:
- Guided tour of the city's historic center, including the Zwinger Palace, Semper Opera, and Bruhle Terrace
- Visit to Dresden’s famous Church of Our Lady (Frauenkirche)
Excursion to Dresden's famous holiday markets
Day-Trip to Litoměřice
Another UPCES day-trip is to the Bohemian town of Litoměřice, located in Northwest Czech Republic in the region of the Czech Central Mountains. This is one of the oldest Czech towns, nestled in perhaps the most beautiful region in the country.
Highlights of the Litoměřice trip include:
- Tour of the city's Old Town and historic areas
- Visit and tour of the Ploskovice Castle
- Lunch in a historic restaurant
Wine tasting in Velké Žernosek vineyard
"The trips were so much fun! UPCES set us up with great lodging, put together fabulous tours, and made everything easy and accessible. The trips were a great way to see different parts of Central Europe while having fun with other students."
— Litsey, Middlebury College '11. View more "Student Stories" here.
View more pictures on the UPCES Facebook Page